Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Plan B

I have a suspicion that my luggage is probably gone. The past few day's I've just been hanging around the hotel while both Kenya Airways and Delta keep dicking me around. To save money, I've bought a bunch of bananas from the market and have been eating those for lunch and dinner. Come to think of it, I've only eaten lunch or dinner once since I've arrived. F that. Today I decided to try and find a way of getting some cash wired to me so I can re-outfit myself and get up to the field site. Nairobi is fine except that fighting with the airlines everyday and making no progress is like being in purgatory that costs alot of money. Late at night is somewhat depressing knowing that the next day is going to just be more of the same. I keep having some hope that my luggage will show up but deep down I know its likely having a new life somewhere in Nigeria. I need to accept it and just move on. The most difficult thing has been coming to terms with the fact that the documentary I've been planning is no no more. I have my video camera and a few tapes, but my charger and batteries are all MIA. I think its begining to finally sink in and I'm ready to get on with things. My new plan is to try to keep moving forward and hopefully keep getting stranded closer and closer to Pagak.

Nairobi is an expensive city. Mostly since I'm a total noob and don't really know where anything is outside my immediate surroundings. In the last few days I think I've located everything that I need--power cord for . Except the only underwear I can find is designer underwear at 40 bucks a pair. Again, F that. Seriously, I think its time to go commando in the jungle. Ironically, the only place I can find to buy clothes is a hip hop store and a Woolworths. I think once I get some cash I'm going to show up in the field all gangstered out.

I'm working out a plan to get up to the compound in Juba on Friday so I can finally start buying new equipment today. Now that I have a better idea of the money situation, I think I will treat myself by eating dinner tonight. Hell yeah!

2 comments:

SMB said...

Hey Bret,

Sorry to hear about your baggage problems. Are you familiar with lonely planet's thorn tree (http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/index.jspa)? I just put up a question inquiring about shopping in Nairobi. By the sound of it, you might be gone by the time I get a sufficient answer, plus i doubt you're on the internet much there. Best of luck to you man.

Nancy O said...

Oh God Bret, Sean and I are just sitting here not knowing what to say. How brutal is that! I'm so sorry you're having such a tough start. The disappointment in your writing is so evident. Sean say's "just try to get some momentum". I think you could possibly rock the ganster look very well! Ali G all the way! Keep us posted with what's going on. We'll be thinking about you. Love from the Japan O'Flanagans.